SerVantage received the Environmental Stewardship Award in November 2009. EcoLogo is North America’s most widely recognized (and respected) certification of environmental leadership. EcoLogo has set standards and certified products in more than 120 categories, including janitorial and sanitation product categories, packaging categories, personal care product categories, furniture and commercial interiors product categories, electricity, fuel, etc. EcoLogo helps purchasers – and consumers – identify, trust, buy and sell environmentally preferable or “green” products (and services). On the EcoLogo website (visit www.ecologo.org), you will be able to find more than 7,000 certified products from hundreds of North American manufacturers. SerVantage is the first Commercial Cleaner in Western Canada to receive this award.
GREEN BUSINESS PHILOSOPHY
We are committed to the purchase and use of effective cleaning products, equipment and methods that minimize harmful effects to our staff, clients, premises and the environment (“green”). We outline our commitment and guidelines as follows:
- Use proportion-distribution controlled green chemicals
- Provide adequate staff training regarding the use of green products, methods, and equipment
- Use only high-efficiency vacuums (i.e. sub-micron, HEPA, CRI green label)
- Avoid the use of aerosols, convenience packaging, and instead show preference for recyclable packaging
- Promote recycling in our business and with those we do business
- Use low-maintenance floor care programming and minimize stripping cycles with a focus on low VOCs
- Maintain all equipment to ensure maximum efficiency, minimal chemical use, and maximum water lift/removal
- Understand moisture management and report repeated sources of moisture, eliminate standing water and use a germicide in areas of cross-contamination
- Continually source and implement innovative green products and methods
Increasingly environmentally-aware and safe, non-toxic working environments are important to both the consumers and employees alike. SerVantage understands the importance of this, not only as a responsibility to the environment and future generations, but also as an added service to our clients.
Green Cleaning Plan
SerVantage is very well versed in “green cleaning”. SerVantage has taken a leadership role within our industry to create effective, healthy and comprehensive green cleaning programs that not only meet Green Seal and Environmental Choice criteria but do it in a way that enhances the quality of the cleaning and the health of the buildings being cleaned.
Staff and Training
The most important part of any program are the people that are expected to carry out the program. Regardless of the quality of the products or equipment being used without the right staff and the right training a green cleaning program will not work. SerVantage works closely with our suppliers and manufacturers to create clear, concise and comprehensive training programs.
These programs include:
- Chemistry of Cleaning - understanding PH and the relationship to green cleaning
- Chemical Safety – understanding MSDS sheets
- WHMIS Training
- Product knowledge and application of knowledge
- Cleaning for health and proper disinfecting
- Maintenance of multiple floor surfaces
- Proper use of dilution systems
- Proper use of colour coded microfiber mops and cloths to prevent cross contamination
They are taught using a combination of video, slideshows, classroom and hands on application techniques. Follow up training is offered monthly or quarterly depending on the needs of the building.
The majority of the green cleaning products used by SerVantage are from the Avmor line of chemicals. Avmor is Canada’s leading manufacturer of professional cleaning chemicals. Specifically we use the EcoPure and BioMor line of products. EcoPure combines a highly effective cleaning system with cleaning agents that are safer to hands-on users, safer to the people working within the cleaning environment and environmentally preferable to the natural and built environment that surrounds us. These products are designed to be used in cold water further reducing energy consumption. The BioMor line of products uses enzyme technology to safely and effectively breakdown starch, carbohydrates, fat, oil and grease. These products are also effective at eliminating unpleasant odours from urine, vomit, smoke, perspiration and food waste at the source. All products in these lines are either Green Seal or Environmental Choice certified and many have both certifications.
The Avmor green products are delivered through a wall mounted dilution system. This ensures that the cleaning staff have the right dilution ratios in their spray bottles, buckets and auto scrubbers every time. This coupled with the fact that these products are used in cold water practically eliminates chemical residue being left behind. The system is installed in one or more locked janitorial rooms and is monitored by the site manager. This means consistent cleaning every time with very little waste.
SerVantage uses Pro Team back pack and canister vacuums. They are CRI approved by the Carpet Industry and meet the requirements of the Green Label Program. They come with HEPA filters and are below the 70db benchmark for noise. ProTeam is a leader in the industry when it comes to educating people on the importance of indoor air quality and as such has a partnership with the American Lung Association to educate the public about indoor air quality, the first full-scale partnership of its kind between the American Lung Association and a vacuum cleaner manufacturer.